November 17, 2010

Confessions of a DJGer. . .DJG’r. . . djgr. . . Whatever


I realize this title is a bit like Confessions of an Opium Eater in some circles.  For others it’s like revealing oneself to be a member of Opus Dei or the Rosicruceans.   For still others, it’s the equivalent of espousing Satanism. For the real lowdown, keep reading, but don’t expect the DaVinci Code.

Before he had his own website, the person known as DJG put up his own graphic cartoons on another website.  I enjoyed them—Susan Boyle landing her space ship, driving around in her little 3-wheeled car (this was long before the Peugeot) and dousing her tormentors with anti-paparazzi spray. (Edited to Add:  Since the paparazzi now play nice with her, she plays nice with them.)

However, for some obscure (or perhaps non-existent) reason he was banned from that site, and put up his own.  I say non-existent because this may have been one of the early examples of a dementor attack—spreading lies about an innocent person, so others take action against that person. 

Here I will take a short break to explain my use of dementor, for those of you who haven’t heard it before.  In the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, "Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They infest the darkest, filthiest places, they glory in decay and despair, they drain peace, hope, and happiness out of the air around them... Get too near a Dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory will be sucked out of you. If it can, the Dementor will feed on you long enough to reduce you to something like itself...soulless and evil. You will be left with nothing but the worst experiences of your life."   

It is a quicker and easier way to describe a cyber-bully/cyber-stalker who torments people across the internet.  It’s far more dangerous than a troll, and it’s MO is different.  A troll pops out from under the virtual bridge, grabs your attention with something nasty, and then runs back under the bridge to hide.  A dementor  slithers through your computer screen, convincing you it’s a friend, then fills you with lies and sets you on a path to hurt others, returning again and again to keep you on that path.  It projects its own evil on to its victims.  I wish it were mythological, but it isn’t.  I and many others have been its victims.

Which leads me back to DJG’s website.  The particular dementor I am familiar with, has specialized in tormenting Susan Boyle fans across the internet, dividing them and turning them against one another.  It has been quite successful in demonizing one particular website, that of DJG.  Why it picked that one, I don’t know, but there it is.  It has convinced hundreds of people that this site is evil, and wants to take over and devour other Susan Boyle fansites, particularly the largest one, susan-boyle.com, and its forum.

Since I’d heard some of these lies repeated by creditable people, I took them for granted.  However in the period while we were discussing collaboration with the administrators and moderators in purchasing susan-boyle.com at auction, it became apparent that rancor between the two sites was going over the top.  Mean posts and PM’s on both sites, fueled by the dementor, were dragged from one to the other.  The level of distrust was incredible.  The staff of susan-boyle.com did not want member ownership of the site for fear that the “DJG’ers”  would seize control and take down the site.  They demanded that we accept no loans from any “DJG’er” lest they renege on the loans and leave us holding the bag.  Once the site was won at auction they were going to “clean out” all the troublemakers/DJG’ers and prevent any more from joining. 

At this point I started getting uncomfortable.  Who WAS a DJG’er?  How did you define them?  Names were named and they did not compute.  Anyone who was “contentious”, that is brought up and defended ideas the admins & mods did not approve, was a DJG’r, even if they weren’t members of his site.  Members of his site who always behaved politely at susan-boyle.com were also DJG’ers.  Finally I asked if DJG’rs were only defined by the staff’s paranoia.  This question was not welcome.  I believe this was the moment when I began to fall from grace.

Webster’s dictionary defines “walpurgisnacht” as
1) the eve of May Day on which witches are held to ride to an appointed rendezvous
2) something (as an event or situation) having a nightmarish quality.
On July 18, 2010, the forum.susan-boyle.com went through its own Walpurgisnacht.  In the eyes of the staff, blinded by the dementor, lchris, Citroen Lady, the infamous DJG’res and myself were the witches riding to an appointed rendezvous.  In our eyes, we faced the second definition. Members were locked out of areas they were previously in.  Others were given access to places they had no permission to enter.  Members and former members had their status changed as banned or unbanned or in purgatory awaiting unbanndment. Member’s names were changed.  Over 100 incidents of unauthorized changes (I was the owner and sure didn’t authorize them) in the control panel and/or database were made and reported to lchris, who spent a 36-hour marathon trying to correct them..

At the same time hateful and outlandish accusations were made against us by staff and members.  Staff abandoned their posts during this time of chaos.  Lchris and I were harassed and insulted by people who as far as we knew, had no reason to hate us.  We were totally bewildered.  WTF was going on?

And who stepped in to help?  The contentious people.  And who stepped in to defend us in the posts?  OMG, the DJG’rs!  People I had fought with in threads in the past!  Friends had become enemies and enemies had become friends. My entire view of Susan Boyle fandom turned inside out that night.  And that was the point at whicht lchris and I realized that something strange was going on.  Ultimately it led to the influence of the dementor.  It felt like it had sucked the soul out of our forum that night.

That was when we turned the focus of our investigation to finding the creature behind this.  That is our priority, in fact our obsession, for the last 4 months.  Eventually we’ll get it.  Then the healing of the rifts in Susan Boyle fandom can begin in earnest.

Finally, back to the title. A while after Walpurgisnacht I got an invitation to rejoin DJG’s forum.  And it has its own name, which I’ll use from now on—The SusaHumor Forum.  So I did. With some trepidation, because I still had some residue of the poison the dementor had spread.  When I got there I found people who were funny, outspoken, intelligent, opinionated, irreverent –just like so many people on the susan-boyle forum.  In fact some of them WERE on the susan-boyle forum, just like I was.

Sure there was anger, and bitterness and suspicion.  I understood that after what lchris and I had been through, and what we’re still going through.  But I think that once we clean off the filth from the dementor, all our different fansites can return to harmony with each other.

Hey now, hey now, Susan, get over here!   We want you to be a channel of our peace!





14 comments:

  1. As a member of all sites intertwined in this horid mess, I want everyone to know I love all three sites. It is very important to me that all three sites survive and thrive. It is my hope they can do so in harmony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' Every Minute (LEM)November 17, 2010 at 9:43 PM

    Great entry!

    I'd like to take a moment to set two things straight that seem to be the subject of some confusion. First, I was NEVER banned from forum.susan-boyle. Second, I resigned as a mod in August, 2009 and as a member in October, 2009. As a member of DJG's (OK, SusaHumor!) and Paulie's sites, I was reasonably apprised of what was going on @ forum.susan-boyle regarding the auction, the transition, etc. On 7/18/2090, I rejoined forum.susan-boyle out of curiosity regarding those transitions. I didn't coordinate my re-joining with anybody, never had any intention of taking part in a takeover plot - I've never known one to exist - nor was I participating in a Job Faire - Dawg forbid!! Been there, done that, don't wanna go back!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing, I'm so glad to see the pieces to the puzzle fitting into place. The "Forum" has been a confusing place. One never knows whether they are afoot or horseback there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Dyebat. I had suspected for a long time that staff was in the process of "house cleaning" the less that righteous. I am sad that my suspicions were correct but not in the least bit surprised.

    With regard to your first post, all I can say is you too, have The Gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much from those who have not been able to speak up for themselves.!! It is time the truth came out. Many of us have felt like outcasts for too long.

    Evergreen/mdillow31

    ReplyDelete
  6. The purging has begun!!! Halleluia!!! Well it's been going on for a while but we're now getting an official version of it!!!

    Thank you again Dyebat and Lchris for your persistence and perseverance and, above all, your wanting to get to the root of the truth of WTF is going on!!!

    Hats off!!!

    Janaki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovin' Every Minute (LEM)November 18, 2010 at 6:53 AM

    A postscript of sorts to my comment above:

    When I first joined Paul Wood's fansite in early May, 2009, I signed up and was able to post immediately. Same with DJG's, Paulie's, and every other site, news outlet, etc. I've ever joined. On July 18, curiosity got the better of me, plus I felt the urge to comment on something (Tink's wearing of two hats - at forum.susan-boyle, and at the Official Site, as I recall) so I decided to take a crack at re-joining forum.susan-boyle. I used my original user name and my original password - and was surprised that I was admitted! But - I was unable to post. As things developed that evening, that was extremely frustrating. I checked again the next day - nope. A couple of days later, I went to sign in but was unrecognized. I went throught the re-registration process again. Still no ability to post. Waited a bit longer, then contacted TPTB (I think it was Tink) and was told that the tech people were busy with transition issues (I now suspect they were busy dealing with what transpired on 7/18/2010). Got bumped again a few days later - contacted Tink (I think - she may have directed me to one of the tech people)again and was finally admitted with full posting privileges shortly thereafter. I show on the site as a member since 7/23/2010, so it took at least 5 days to be activated.

    I never understood the difficulty with this. I did vent to various people at the time that if that's how their sign-up process was working, no wonder membership numbers looked like they did - most normal people, after waiting a day or so and not being activated, would simply bugger off, while continuing to show as a member - a non-posting, compliant, non-troublesome member. Eye roll. But I now realize that it wasn't that at all - they were gunning for members of DJG's site. It also explains the treatment luz has received since rejoining.

    Sorry to ramble, but in light of dyebat's post I thought I'd provide another piece to the puzzle - that I hadn't realized was a piece to a puzzle at all until I read her post!

    LEM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back when I joined DJG's, I had no idea I was joining Opus Dei. LOL. Someone may be chanting, "Pain is good," but it's definitely NOT the humor, fun, and freespeech loving crowd at DJG's site!

    Thank you again for a very illuminating post. I always wondered why the folks at the other site had such distorted images of us. Now I'm beginning to understand, and hopefully the good people on that site are also beginning to understand. We don't hate Susan or fandom. We hate abuse and corruption.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You Dyebat. I cannot get enough of your descriptive writings. I have been a follower of yours since the day you invited us to join you on the bus. It came to an abrupt end that day in May when you had to take a detour. Maybe one of these days we can all get back on board.

    I appreciate your honesty.
    Love
    Boop

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too like to say thank you to dyebat and lchris for your hard work.
    Thank you for not giving up with all the diversity going on. I finally understand that night in July it was a nightmare. The abuse we saw against nice people and us was mind blowing.
    How could the staff show such lack of discernment I never will know.
    I wish each person on all forums could read your blog dyebat so to get understanding but we are not allowed to advertise the URL.
    You are both well loved keep up the good work.
    whisper

    ReplyDelete
  11. When the "big war" happened, I did not have a clue what was happening. Then the rats started to leave the sinking ship and I was even more confused. I'm a Libra and the balance thing really comes onto play for me. So I was a mess. I stayed the course, never did understand what all the fuss was about blaming the "DJGers". Unless, hmmmmm, there were motives of which I was unaware. Thank you, to all of you. bernicer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your illuminating post, Dyebat. I have been a member of the susan-boyle forum since its inception. I have been both horrified and heartbroken at seeing how unjustly you, lChris, CL and the DJGers have been vilified there. Perhaps I have been identified by staff as a DJGer since I have always felt a moral obligation to state my opinion at what I felt was such injustice to you folks. I had once made a post on the forum stating that I only belonged to the forum, the OS and I did register at Tommy's site. When I made it,I had completely forgotten that I did register at DJG's site but since I had only gone there probably a total of 5 or 6 times and I recall never made a post, I had completely forgotten that fact. I did find him very funny on the forum and thought he was unjustly banned. I also felt very badly when a well respected and fair moderator, WAM, was no longer moderator. I started a thread to thank her. When that thread was closed after a few questions were posted about why she was not longer a moderator, I did not like the feeling I had. At that time the site was owned by Paul Woods and he was free to do as he pleased.

    I sincerely hope that the police can prosecute the dementor to the fullest and that the susan-boyle forum can return to a place where all fans can be respected. I have not been one of the ones who felt that in the guise of having harmony and peace on the site, that the truth should be hidden. To quote a famous person, "The truth will make you free."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dyebat, over at SusaHumor I've posted a response (of sorts) to this post of yours. You might enjoy reading it. ;-)

    http://susahumor.forumotion.com/guest-forum-viewable-by-anyone-f10/a-disturbing-turn-of-events-and-an-impassioned-plea-t2386.htm

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Dyebat, for telling your story in such a clear way. Looking forward to hearing more from both you and Chris.

    ReplyDelete