December 8, 2010

Thank you dyebat

note: my reply to your post quickly became too long for the comments area.

Your words always move me. I am humbled. Was it worth it? If I took nothing away from this experience but the honor of being your sidekick and your friend, the answer would have to be yes. Hell, yes!

But there is so much more.

We stepped into a long-standing and complicated set of issues that we did not expect. Some of it unpleasant, some much much worse. You never backed down. Your steadfast courage, diligence and integrity inspires me. Thank YOU.

The original goal of a united community is still a work in progress. We have raised awareness. We have deterred a once-prolific serial cyber-stalker, cyber-bully. I know that we (with CL) will follow that case to the end. For Susan Boyle, her family/friends, her management teams/employers, and the entire SB online community. The story will be public at some point to prevent this from happening to any other communities online. Laws and online safety practices must change to reflect this new type of 'troll'.

You stepped up to save the site for members. All members. When Staff approached you for a joint bid, you accepted. In good faith.

You were as eager as I to work with Staff to move forward together.

A few Staff with ulterior motives and an unprecedented dearth of integrity, along with the undue corporate influence and the cyber-bully split this community long ago, hurting a lot of people along the way. They have worked hard to discredit us and make us the enemy.

We are not the first, nor will we be the last to be discredited for attempting to share some truths, and/or unite this community.

The 'spin' on certain events has been believed by good people that are guilty of being too naive and trusting. They were conned.

We will continue to post the 'rest of the story' on our own blogs. For those of you that do care to know more.

The Board has voted to relieve me of all access and duties for SBII. I remain in service to the entire Susan Boyle online community. Including SBFII. If they should need me, they know they can call on me to help. I will also volunteer to any open SB site run by fans for fans. For technical or marketing support. Sites in fandoms don't compete. They share a common goal. Each site contributes something valuable to the community.

The SBFII forum has the most comprehensive collection of news and videos and historical SB info. They get 'leaks' and Susan Boyle visits. Yet, they need not be the only place in the community to congregate. Our community is diverse. SBFII is too responsive to corporate wishes. Some conversations and members are 'silenced'. Member safety is not the priority. This will not likely change. It started with the previous owner. Know this, accept this, and proceed accordingly.

Please acknowledge that SBFII has also made many positive changes long requested by members. Here are just a few...Discontinuing paid Red Room membership, eliminating many obnoxious adverts, increasing PM mailbox capacity, alternatives to outright banning of members, and the eventual return of most previously banned members. The member appeals process is delayed but still a goal shared by SBFII Staff/Board. I will restate what I have said since May. The former/present Staff/Board are the most dedicated volunteers I have ever worked with. I mean that. Given my extensive history of working with volunteers, that is the highest compliment I can give.

Take the good with the bad.

Dyebat, Knudt, Citroenlady and I will continue to analyze and post information.
We want the truth. We want retractions of some of the known lies. We want the community to move forward, wiser from what we have learned and experienced. We have no interest in hurting anyone. We could have just posted tons of data (files, chats, emails, etc..) and exacerbated the situation. We could have filed criminal charges against some of you. We are interested in solutions. Positive solutions.

Dyebat, our story isn't finished. SBFII's story isn't finished. The SB online community's story isn't finished.

I have spoken, corresponded, worked, argued, laughed, trained and shared with many members in the SB community over the past 6 months. Though technically a member from day one myself, I was never really involved in the community aspect. Dropped my news/twitter contributions and left.

I am a 'real' member now. Not because I spent a lot of time helping dyebat with the auction, or the Staff with the transition. Along the way, I got to know a lot of 'avatars' and you all became real people that I care about.

A popular professional singer once said "You never give up on anyone, you never give up on yourself". She's right.

Dyebat, I know you. You won't give up.